Maya 2d panels navigation with spacepilot

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

3duser2k

Maya 2d panels navigation with spacepilot

Post by 3duser2k »

I asked this question years ago before the forums even existed but could never get this to work so Ill try again- the device manual says in 2d windows the device can only pan and zoom, but when i try anything in a 2d panel such as a hypershade, uv editor, or hypergraph nothing moves, yet the 3d scene in the main window does, as if the controller doesnt even see the 2d panel as being open. I know this must be an issue since we all want to be able to navigate all the panels with out controller and not switch to moude only navigation, thats the point of the device- to save us from clicking so much and speed up workflow. So can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Im using the latest driver with maya 7. Does this feature only work in newer versions of the application and if so which version? Thanks
3duser2k

Post by 3duser2k »

no one uses it for maya?
3duser2k

Post by 3duser2k »

cmon guys, anybody? company reps? has anyone been able to use a 3d connexion device in the hypershade, graph editor, uv editor etc?
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

I do use it for Maya, but not like Photoshop, or other image viewing apps, I must say it is nice to be able to be in a 2D window like the UV editor, and still have 3D control even though that window does not have focus. It's a personal preference thing I guess... but should be an option in the control panel from 3Dconnexion. I do see the logic that a 2D mouse does just as well in the UV editor, Hypergraph, Outliner etc... (Hopefully the bump will bring it to someone's attention)....

-DC
3duser2k

Post by 3duser2k »

I appreciate the bump, it would be very useful and a hand saving feature to be able to turn this function on in the control panel. I am a good example of how 3d connexion devices save our hands from unnatural actions such as click dragging all mouse buttons putting tension on and doing damage to tendons, since I cannot use a mouse anymore and need to do everything with a tablet and spacepilot, if only i knew about this device years ago, where you control motion by moving a puck lightly instead of dragging a hundred times a minute- eventually you wont be able to. I dont see why a function that works so perfectly in a 2d app like ps cannot be implemented in other 2d windows, I think this was even mentioned in some version of the 3d connexion software and I was told it should work in the new driver versions but it never did. So moderators- can you pass this on to the R&D dept and consider implementing it in a future driver?
Thanks