Inventor 09 and Vista

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

curvyrace

Inventor 09 and Vista

Post by curvyrace »

Just moved my machine to Vista x64 Business. Running a quad-core machine with 8 GB ram and scads of hard drive space. I reinstalled the 3DConnexion software from the website, making sure I got the latest version for my SpaceExplorer. Tried the unit on GoogleEarth and it works great. But, I cannot get the joystick to respond in Inventor. The buttons work ok, but the movement with the joystick is very jerky and and extremely delayed. It worked fine before on XP x64. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

We are not aware that there is such an issue. What happens to your CPU load and does this also occur with your 2D mouse? What happens if you start Inventor without our add-in (disable both options under Tools->Add-ins->3DxInventor and restart Inventor).
What happens if you assign a specific CPU to 3DxWare/Inventor (right-click 3DxWare.exe in taskmanager and select "Set Affinity")?
Robert Stadie
curvyrace

Post by curvyrace »

Thanks Robert! I appreciate the reply.

CPU useage gets a small blip to 10-20% when I move the SpaceExplorer or 2D mouse.

I looked for the 3dxWare.exe in Task Manager and could not find it. I did find 3dxsrv.exe and set the affinity for it. When I was doing that, I found that while Task Manager is open, the SpaceExplorer works great no matter what the affinity is set to. Close Task Manager and it goes back to its jerky and slow movement.
curvyrace

Post by curvyrace »

Follow Up:

I found that if I have the Inventor window active, then the 3D mouse exhibits its bad behavior. But if I have another program open and its window active, then I can use the 3D mouse to move the model in the Inventor window with no problem. But if I click in the Inventor window and make it active again, the 3D mouse doesn't work.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

I will try to reproduce this.
Robert Stadie
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

I tried to reproduce this on Vista 64bit - without success. Do you have another program running that could "filter" USB data sent to Inventor (for example AntiVirus software)?

As Google Earth works fine and this issue only occurs with Inventor it could be that Inventor is off doing something and not attending to the data . Please contact Autodesk (they implemented 3D mice in Inventor) - perhaps they are aware of this issue. We appreciate if you could post here the information on their response.
Robert Stadie