error 1638 on install

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

terranaut

error 1638 on install

Post by terranaut »

ive been using both space navigators and space explorers for years without issues on win7-64 systems, and the latest (as of sep 4 2013) driver, whether final or beta, both now offer me this error code 1638 when i try to install even the most minimal choices
i have done full uninstalls, reinstalled previous versions, and handpicked the registry (which i know fairly in depth) and files as well from the systems. it happens on both systems, on all 3dconnexion devices, yet never happened before.
the systems otherwise have zero issues. i cannot install the latest nor can i go back to the previous; all installs now simply fail since i tried the latest beta (previous betas worked fine). any logs or such i can send someone would be great as i spent over 7 hours on this one issue
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (10.99 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
UtaSH

Re: error 1638 on install

Post by UtaSH »

Hi terranaut,

your way to solve isuue was the correct one: install and then uninstall any previously installed version of the driver. Error 1638 is:
  • "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."
I know you did this already. But .. have you tried the correct versions? Do you remember which version was installed previously on your machine(s)?.

Another option would be to clean the mess up with this tool: Microsoft's FixIt Tool.
terranaut

Post by terranaut »

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I had uninstalled the latest beta, and then went 1 back, then 2 back, on the beta builds, but same issue.
Then I did the same for final builds; 1 back, then 2 back.

I had used other microsoft fixit tools for install/uninstall issues, but for the one you'd mentioned, it asks for the product code so it can search the registry/etc for it by code and not name. So is it possible to find out the product codes for not just the latest beta, but even the past couple finals and betas? Perhaps it could help others too who have issues with installs and they ran through previous builds, both beta and finals, in hopes of repair.
Thanks again
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (49.84 KiB) Viewed 4729 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello terranaut,

our package includes several products and we do not know which one is causing the problems.

Please follow the instructions in this FAQ: "How do I generate log files of the 3DxSoftware installer?". The article is for the release driver (3DxSoftware). Try first to install the release driver and we will see if this gives us some information that will help then to install the beta driver.

It creates log files and you can send them to us. I will send you a PM with an email address where to send the files.