Can I use tilt as a mouse pointer

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

moose764

Can I use tilt as a mouse pointer

Post by moose764 »

Hi,
I have installed a computer in my car and run i-tunes and infomap satnav. The touch pad broke so I looked around for an alternative pointing device that could also be programed to emulate key strokes. The spacenav pe looks just the job. It was delivered today and after an hour or 2 playing with it I realise that it isn't as simple as that. I have seen the sdk but I have only ever programed in basic on my commodor 64 when I was a spotty youth and don't have visual basic or c. The question is, can I use the tilt to control the curser as though it was a mouse in windows and could it be possible to configure the other functions to scroll etc. If so I would concider having a go at basic. I'm running winxp pro.
Hope someone can help, it would be a shame to have to send it back as it looks the dogs b****cks.

Kind Regards

Dave.
Bryan

SpaceNavigator used in conjunction with a regular mouse

Post by Bryan »

Dear moose764,

The SpaceNavigator is normally used in conjunction with a regular mouse. The SpaceNavigator has no clicker and no cursor. In a 3D application the SpaceNavigator would normally be used to manipulate an object in 3D space while the regular mouse would continued to be used to sculpt and select commands.

Under the Solution Menu on our Web site you can find a listing of the applications that make use of a SpaceNavigator.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/ca ... up_app.php

Under the Support Menu, you may find a listing for our Free SDK, software development kit. This would be useful if you are a member of a team developing a software application.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/sdk.php

Sincerely,
Bryan
moose764

Post by moose764 »

Hi Bryan
Thanks for that. I'm aware of the normal operation but just wondered if it was at all possible to use it as a mouse as the ad said "3d mouse" or is it impossible.

Regards

Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

Some of the guys on mp3car.com have used the SpaceNavigator in their cars. There are some pretty interesting threads on their forum.
moose764

Post by moose764 »

Cheers jwick you're a star
jwick

Post by jwick »

Just keep your eyes on the road...my life may depend on it <GG>