VectorWorks2008 Troubles

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

tobiasCAD

VectorWorks2008 Troubles

Post by tobiasCAD »

Alright, just got the spacenavigator, and I guess it's time to join the chorus of gripes. First of, no C4D support on Mac, WTF? Gotta say I feel slightly duped on that, but I guess it's my fault for not fully looking into it before purchase.

Anyway, using the SN in VW2008 SP3 I've had VW crash on me 4 times now, and that program was very stable for me until I plugged the SN in. Also, th SN seems choppy, and can only navigate well in wireframe mode, Open GL is almost unusable, which is the mode I wanted to view most of my models in before final render. At other time the objects in the file completely disappear when I touch the SN. They don't reappear until I manually change views to a standard view with the keyboard. This is the application that pays the bills, so I am not very tolerant of things that make it unstable, slower to use and touchy in general. Not very impressed with the SN since VW2008 has supposed 3dconnexion certified support.

Oh yeah, I don't care where the problems lie, with VW or the SN, both companies taught the vaunted compatibility, so you had best make it work.

Running:

VW2008 SP2
SN 1.5
MacPro 2x 2.8 gHz
VectorWorks2008
C4d 10.5
Bryan

VectorWorks 2008 Service Pak 3

Post by Bryan »

Dear tobiasCAD,

What operating system version are you using?

You may need to upgrade to Service Pak 3 as this is the first version that VectorWorks has been certified in.
Running:

VW2008 SP2
Sincerely,
Bryan G.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The list of certified applications is available on the 3Dconnexion web site. See here.
Nuno Gomes
tobiasCAD

Post by tobiasCAD »

I am running the most current version of VectorWorks 2008 SP2 R3 build 83388. Just double checked, and VW is up-to-date. My issues still persist. I have checked the supported software list and VW is on it, hence the purchase of the SN. But it doesn't function well, and causes VW to crash. I guess thats "certified"?
MacPro 2x 2.8 gHz
VectorWorks2008
C4d 10.5
tobiasCAD

Post by tobiasCAD »

Oh yes, I'm am running OSX 10.5.2
MacPro 2x 2.8 gHz
VectorWorks2008
C4d 10.5
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tobiasCAD,

The certified VW version is "2008 SP3".

You are using VW "2008 SP2 R3" (build 83388). This build is not certified by 3Dconnexion.

The issues with OpenGL are not specific for the 3D mouse (they can be seen also when using a normal mouse). Our requirement for certification is that the performance using a 3D mouse is better or as good as the normal mouse.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tobiasCAD,

SP3 for VW 2008 is not yet available for end-users.

The information on our web site is correct but it can be misleading since it suggests SP3 is available now. Please accept our apologises. The application list web page will be edited to prevent further confusion.

We are still interested in learning what scenarios are causing your 3D mouse to crash VW. I understand that you're using VW in a production environment and finding that information may not be possible but we are interested in any details you may have. For example, are the crashes somehow tied to a particular document that you're working with? Does the size or complexity makes a difference?
tobiasCAD

Post by tobiasCAD »

I would have to agree that the version scheme that VW2008 has adopted is confusing. I will wait for the hopefully soon update to get R3 from them, and try again.

Thanks
-Tobias
MacPro 2x 2.8 gHz
VectorWorks2008
C4d 10.5