Space Mouse Enterprise, Fusion and macOS Ventura recognition problem and some custom settings.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

RamFade

Space Mouse Enterprise, Fusion and macOS Ventura recognition problem and some custom settings.

Post by RamFade »

After a few weeks with the Space Mouse Enterprise I think I finally have it figured out. Maybe someone has a better solution for issue one, maybe issue two will help someone else:

Ventura 13.6.7, 3Dconnexion 1.2.2, Fusion Personal 2.0.1907, 2017 27” iMac - 4.2 GHz i7 - 40 GB ram - 8 GB vram and a CAD newbie (uh-oh!).

Issue One - I finally discovered I need to open Mac System Settings for the 3dconnexion mouse, wait for the picture of the mouse to become not grayed out, then open 3Dconnexion Home -> Trainer and go through the first step of moving the teapot before the mouse will recognize Fusion correctly. And I have to do this BEFORE opening Fusion. If I don’t it may move the cursor and maybe zoom with a spin but beyond that it just doesn’t work. Irritating but workable. I've also noticed if the icons are showing on the display... it's not going to work! Any thoughts on this?

Issue Two - The mouse movements of In/Out, Up/Down, Roll and Spin were driving me nuts, they did not make sense at all (the way the object moved in Fusion). So in the Axes settings I swapped In/Out with Up/Down and Roll with Spin. That was a lot of trial and error especially since THERE IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SET for Solids and another for Sketch. Do this while in Fusion Solid and again while in Sketch. The settings (in Axes) will change depending on what mode your are in. Took me a while to realize this. So finally, NOW the objects in Fusion move the way that’s intuitive to me.

Is it just me being a CAD newbie or do other people change settings like this too?

And by the way, I tried the bundled CAD mouse but it’s heavy, awkward and makes my hand cramp (I’m 6’2, I don’t have small hands). My favorite mouse of all time is the wired Mighty Mouse: light and easy to hold. I should have known since those two are completely different. Now I have yet another paper weight!