Move tool bug when using SpaceExplore in max 2014

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

steevee

Re: Move tool bug when using SpaceExplore in max 2014

Post by steevee »

Wow, so at least 3 of us, seem to think that the last known good drivers for max were around version 3.16.3 that were released in march 2013?
And they've been broken ever since.
I wish i was surprised at this!
S
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Hey Steevee, what's the latest at your end? Tried the Spacemouse pro wireless yet - any improvement? I'm guessing not as the hardware shares the same drivers... anyway I read somewhere on this forum that 3Dc are on the case with this issue and expecting an update about now, let's hope so.
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Problem appears to be partially fixed with v10.2 in that the sliding and jumping is not as severe, plus we get the undo back! The best way to really fix it so it behaves like v3.17 is to have the selected object disconnect when moving around in the scene. I use object mode. Even with 3.17 that does dosconnect the object, if you try and select the object when moving around with the 3d mouse then it gets erratic again - making my point to get the disconnection to happen - can someone concur?
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Update: losing undo in max is back again! The only way to get the undo feature to return is to nudge the object to a different position then undo works again. Anyone else???
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Would you concur that previous drivers up to v3.17 act differently by disconnecting from the model when rotating the view thus avoiding the sliding/ jumping behavior? I think this is very important in solving this ongoing issue (bug #6777) - can everyone please check this behavior and make some noise to 3DC as I have done. I doubt they are testing the drivers in Max with the same level of usability as we do.
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

Updated to latest drivers and using in 3DS Max.
While the new button selection tools are magnificent, the very basic functionality of the Space Mouse in ALL THE VIEWPORTS IS HORRIFIC!
UNCONSCIONABLE. Awful. Hard to believe.
When switching to a new viewport it is often impossible to click on an object for about 10 or 20 seconds or sometimes not at all!
Incredibly aggravating.
It used to only be in the side or top views but now it is in ALL VIEWS!
Please fix this!
20 core Xeon Workstation @3.1gz
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

I am disappointed to learn that the selection bug issue is still there despite the many driver upgrades since 3.17! C'mon 3DC please get a proper copy of Max, use it like we do and discover the issue already!!!... Please don't release a driver for Max that still has this bug in it - Why not screen capture yourselves using it and show us that you can get it to work fine? I encourage other users out there to do the same.

As for me I am still using Max 2014 despite the temptations of the new 2015 and better still, the latest 2016 which is amazing, all because I cannot use your drivers above 3.17. Time to sell the Spacemouse I think. But what are the alternatives -anyone?
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

As a preface, no way I could live without this tool. It is amazing.
Tech support got back to me requesting I delete the drivers I dnld two days ago and re-install the latest version
and send them a log of how it worked after the changes.
Well..... did they change the latest version in the last two days?
Is it my responsibility to test their product?
I wouldn't mind except that it takes at least two hours to re-configure the buttons since there is no easy transfer solution of the mappings.

Love to see the thing working correctly.......
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

I really wish the makers of this device would test it out in 3DS MAX 2014 to see you cannot select anything in a new viewport until you have manually panned the viewport with the mouse first.
It is only half functional.
It is not up to the users to be guinea pigs.
Please fix this major malfunction!
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Hi all,

I found a solution to 3ds Max's selection bug here - See link below:

Simply changing 3ds Max's display driver from Nitrous to either "Legacy Direct3D 9.0" or "Legacy Open GL" , fixes the selection bug issue in Max 2014 when moving the scene around - even using the latest 3dconnexion drivers! Same problems and solution where found using a *************** (********************) More on this finding here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12886

-Roger

-----
Edit (moderator): don't post ads (see BOARD RULES).
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Mentioning a competitor's 3d mouse simply aimed to establish that your 3d mouse is not the only 3d hardware affected by this bug - reinforcing my theory that Max's Nitrous may be the cause of the trouble.
djohnson1077

Post by djohnson1077 »

I am a longtime Inventor user (13 years) who is trying to learn 3DS Max. I have used a space pilot since 2005-ish. Since my older ($450) hardware was no longer supported with working drivers, I purchased a new Space Navigator. Imagine my frustration when finding the undo does not work due to the device driver (based on this thread). This is especially maddening for a new user who has to struggle through the modeling process and can't easily repeat things. Then imagine the frustration to learn that this problem has been around since at least 2014. Very frustrating! Come on people, get it fixed!